To apply to our program please follow the following steps:
NEXT APPLICATION DEADLINE:
FOR SPRING 2021
- Complete the Graduate School Application (online interactive application). The fee is $65 for domestic students, $75 for international, and can be paid with credit card, check (US Funds), or money order.
- Upload the following materials to the Applicant Portal:
- Email addresses for your three recommenders (Note: An email will be sent out to your recommenders providing them the information on where to go to submit their letters electronically. So please be sure to list accurate information. The department will only accept letters submitted via the online system. The department will not accept letters submitted through any other format.)
- Academic Statement
- Personal Statement
- Resume or Vita
- Statement of Financial Proof *International students only*
- Send the following materials to the Director of MA Studies, Department of Media and Information, 404 Wilson Road, Room 409, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824:
- One copy of official transcripts and degree certification documents for all college work.
- Please note that the department will only accept hard copies of official transcripts. These must be sent directly from the degree granting institution.
- All other materials should be reported electronically through the Applicant Portal or reported via ETS to the University. Supporting materials sent as a hard copy that should be submitted electronically in the Applicant Portal will not be accepted by the department.
- If your school is not open or able to send out paper copies, digital/student copies can be used for evaluation and possible conditional acceptance. Certified transcripts must be supplied by early October.
- Details on International Transcript requirements are at- https://admissions.msu.edu/apply/international/before-you-apply/application-checklist.aspx
- International students must have the application completed and all elements (including letters of recommendation) submitted by the October 1st deadline.
- Report the following directly to the Office of Admissions
- Official GRE Scores (Note: Please use the university code of 1465. There is no need to use a department code.) Because of the closure of many testing centers globally this year the GRE is not required, but still recommended.
- Official TOEFL/IELTS Scores *International students only* (Note: Please use the University code of 1465. There is no need to use a department code.)
Graduate assistantships and financial aid awards will be based on merit.
**International students should be aware that in addition to your TOEFL/IELTS score meeting our minimum standards, we require that all admitted International students take the English Language test provided by the University upon arrival to MSU. International students are required to take this test prior to enrolling for courses and placement into courses will be done so according to the test results. Our department requires a score of 85 for each subsection. If for some reason you do not pass the test, you will be required to take a semester of English Language courses at your expense, and depending on the ELT scores may not be able to enroll for any additional academic courses. Once you have successfully completed the English Language courses (a grade of 3.5 or higher) you will be removed from provisional to regular status. For more information about the ELC test you may visit their website at elc.msu.edu. Exceptions to this rule are International students with a 4 year undergraduate degree from a institution. https://admissions.msu.edu/apply/international/before-you-apply/english-language-proficiency.aspx
For up-to-date information on tuition and fees, visit the MSU Tuition Calculator