Living in East Lansing
Members of the Michigan State University community are a welcomed part of the East Lansing community. Regardless of your campus affiliation or your place of residence, you are invited and encouraged to participate in all that the East Lansing community has to offer, including a lively nightlife, large-scale events such as the East Lansing Arts Festival and Great Lakes Folk Festival, numerous shopping locales, brew houses/bars, restaurants, and even Pinball Pete’s.
Surrounding areas include Lansing and Old Town (a historic area north of downtown Lansing), replete with arts and unique shops. The Lansing area is close to Grand Rapids and Detroit.
- Capital Region International Airport – The Lansing airport serves this region.
- Capital Area Transportation Authority (CATA) – this bus system serves MSU and the greater Lansing area, with multiple stops on and around campus.
- Amtrak – There is a convenient train station right on the edge of campus.
- The Michigan Flyer – This bus system provides transportation between East Lansing, Ann Arbor, and Detroit Metro Airport.
- Detroit Metro Airport is located west of Detroit, east of Ann Arbor, and offers an alternative to the Lansing airport; sometimes the tickets are cheaper.
Other Items of Interest
A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE LARGE EVENTS
- Nordic Fire Festival takes place in Charlotte in February.
- Capital City Film Festival takes place in Lansing in April.
- East Lansing Arts Festival is a huge festival that takes place in East Lansing in May (and a smaller one on campus in December).
- Festival of the Sun and Moon takes place in Old Town Lansing in June.
- Jazz Fest takes place in Old Town Lansing in August.
- Capital City Comic Convention takes place in East Lansing in September.
- Blues Fest in Old Town takes place in Lansing in September.
- East Lansing Film Festival takes place in East Lansing in October – November.
- Read about the other interesting events in the Lansing area! (Gizzard Fest, anyone?).
- Check out the MSU Events calendar for activities and events around campus.
- Lansing Makers Network “exists to bring diverse people, experiences, and ideas together in a safe environment; to meld technology, art, and culture in new and exciting ways; to share skills, tools, and inspiration; and to marvel at what we make together.”
- Impression 5 Science Center “is a dynamic, interactive space for families to play, create, and challenge their understanding of science.”
- Broad Art Museum focuses on contemporary art and was recently used as a futuristic location for the Batman vs. Superman movie.
- Potter Park Zoo encompasses over 20 acres and features more than 500 individual animals representing approximately 160 different species.
- Wharton Center for the Performing Arts brings many high-quality events, performers, and musicians to the area.